Sell with Confidence
Read More

Swimming pool compliance: What you need to know

By Louise Morrin

Are you selling a property in Carlton with a pool or a spa? Are you all up to date with regard to compliance requirements? The Real Estate Institution of NSW (REINSW) successfully lobbied for an extension to the deadline, but that date is fast approaching.

REINSW's guide on what needs to be done in regards to:

  • Selling: A property must have valid certificates of registration and compliance before it's put on the market. A relevant occupation certificate issued in the last three years is also an option. These documents need to be attached to the Contract for Sale and Purchase. Not doing this can lead to the purchaser rescinding the contract within two weeks.
  • Leasing: A valid certificate of compliance needs to go with the registered poolor relevant occupation certificate from the last three years at the time of entering the Residential Tenancy Agreement.
  • Community title schemes: When the pool is common property,Owner's Corporation or a community association is responsible for obtaining the appropriate certificates.

By 29 April 2015, all properties with a swimming pool or spa being sold or leased require a valid certificate of compliance or relevant occupation certificate. REINSW cites Office of Local Government statistics that indicate 95 per cent of pools are not compliant at first, so this is an issue that needs to be dealt with quickly.

If you have any further questions, get in contact with your local Carlton agent.

Up to Date

Latest News

  • How My Bid to Save a Buck Cost Me a Property Sale

    Whether you’re buying or selling, the experts always warn that you should try and avoid becoming emotional about property. “When you’re emotional you don’t think as clearly,” they caution, “and you risk making costly mistakes.” On paper, this is a concept we can all agree with. But in practice, there … Read more

    Read Full Post